Thursday, September 25, 2008

Paideia Lecture: Go Green

Just when it was starting to soak in that Paideia was over for me and I'd never have to have anything to do with it again (well until my Junior year), I attended the 'Going Green' lecture. Profesor Claude Mertzenich gave an interesting lecutre about replacing processes that have negative impacts on the envionments with clean and economically competitive chemical reaction and analysis methodoloten. Although I don't understand all those big words and pretty much just copied that sentence from my notes, what I did take from this lecture were ways to conserve the envionment. I think people sometimes dont grasp how important it is for us to keep our earth clean. We only think about the here and now and not what polluting may mean for not only us, but our children as well.
I think it is important for us to teach our future students to help keep our earth 'green.' From the start of their schooling we should enforce not littering, not keeping our water running while were brushing our teeth, and other things like these. As teachers we should model for our students ways to keep the earth healthy.

1 comment:

Bethany V. said...

I agree that we should start teaching children at a young age how to "go green". I think we need to start it before they get into habits. I know some adults that don't recycle paper for example because they have a habit of just throwing it in the garbage without even thinking. I feel like schools have become more aware of actions they are taking to become more "green". I think there is still room for improvement, but they are in general going in the right direction.